A Bill of Sale is an important document when buying or selling a vehicle in South Dakota.
It’s a legal document that provides proof of the transaction and can help transfer ownership from the previous owner to the new owner.
If you’ve purchased a car without a title, you may be able to use the bill of sale to get a title in some cases.
Both the buyer and the seller should sign and keep a copy of the Bill of Sale.
The buyer may need it to transfer ownership, and the seller can use it as protection if any disputes or questions regarding the transaction arise.
South Dakota Bill of Sale Forms
In most cases, you’ll have a couple different options for filling out a South Dakota bill of sale.
You can typically use the South Dakota DOR form (if available), a generic bill of sale template, or a handwritten bill of sale.
- South Dakota DOR Bill of Sale Form: https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E0860V1-BillOfSale.pdf
- Bill of Sale Template.
As long as the bill of sale contains all the necessary information and signatures, you should be good to go. If you have any questions regarding the bill of sale or other documents, you should contact the South Dakota DOR.
How to Write a Bill of Sale in South Dakota
Filling out a Bill of Sale is an easy process. You’ll just need to make sure you include the necessary information regarding the vehicle, the sale, the seller, and the buyer.
Here is the basic information you’ll want to include on your South Dakota Bill of Sale:
- Seller’s name, address, and signature.
- Buyer’s name, address, and signature.
- The date of the sale.
- The sale price.
- The vehicle’s year, make, and model.
- The vehicle’s VIN number.
- The vehicle’s body type and color.
- The current mileage.
- The South Dakota license plate number, if applicable.
- Any warranty information or guarantees.
- Perjury statement, if applicable.
Once you’ve got the Bill of Sale filled out and signed:
- As the buyer, you’ll be ready to gather the rest of the paperwork needed to buy a car.
- As the seller, you’ll almost be done with your paperwork needed to sell a car.
When you are completing your South Dakota Bill of Sale and other paperwork, make sure that you:
- Write the information exactly as it matches the vehicle’s title/registration documents.
- Do not white out or cross out information.
- Type/Print/Write and sign the forms in blue or black ink.
Is a Bill of Sale for a Car Required in South Dakota?
In South Dakota, the bill of sale is a requirement for used vehicle sales.
Does a Bill of Sale need to be notarized in South Dakota?
The South Dakota DOR does not require your Bill of Sale to be notarized.