Are you buying, selling, or registering a vehicle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Get a free quote.


Please Enter your ZIP Code to Get Started.

A “lemon car” describes a Colorado vehicle that you purchased that has a manufacturing defect that cannot be repaired, and which has resulted in reducing the usability, safety, or value of the car. 

Under the Colorado lemon law, it is the car manufacturer’s responsibility to make things right if your vehicle qualifies as a lemon. 

This page will provide you with a simple overview of the lemon law requirements, criteria, and process in Colorado. 

For more information regarding your own vehicle, be sure to contact legal counsel or your state’s consumer’s affairs office. 

What is the Colorado Lemon Law?

The Colorado lemon law sets requirements for car manufacturers to refund or replace vehicles that have safety or quality defects that cannot be repaired. 

If your vehicle qualifies, you can typically choose to either:

  • Have the vehicle replaced with a new one. 
  • Be refunded for the purchase of the lemon. 

Does lemon law apply to used cars in Colorado?

Colorado’s lemon law does not apply to used vehicles. 

Lemon Law Criteria in Colorado

In order to qualify for Colorado’s lemon law, the vehicle must meet the following criteria:

  • 4 failed attempts to repair the issue or the vehicle is out-of-service for 30 days
  • Issue occurs within 1 year from the purchase date or the warranty period

What to Do if Your Car is a Lemon in Colorado

If you believe you’ve purchased a lemon car in Colorado, the process will go something like this:

  1. Make the necessary attempts to have the issue repaired under the manufacturer’s warranty. 
  2. Keep records and documentation of all service, communication, and estimates from the dealer, manufacturer, or other authorized agent. 
  3. If you believe the vehicle meets the criteria of a lemon, notify the manufacturer to begin the lemon-law remedy process. 

You’ll need to notify the manufacturer via certified mail. 

For official information or legal advice pertaining to your specific circumstances, please contact your attorney or the Colorado consumer protection agency.