Are you buying, selling, or registering a vehicle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Get a free quote.


Please Enter your ZIP Code to Get Started.

A “lemon car” describes a Delaware vehicle that you purchased that has a manufacturing defect that cannot be repaired, and which has resulted in reducing the usability, safety, or value of the car. 

Under the Delaware lemon law, it is the car manufacturer’s responsibility to make things right if your vehicle qualifies as a lemon. 

This page will provide you with a simple overview of the lemon law requirements, criteria, and process in Delaware. 

For more information regarding your own vehicle, be sure to contact legal counsel or your state’s consumer’s affairs office. 

What is the Delaware Lemon Law?

The Delaware lemon law sets requirements for car manufacturers to refund or replace vehicles that have safety or quality defects that cannot be repaired. 

If your vehicle qualifies, you can typically choose to either:

  • Have the vehicle replaced with a new one. 
  • Be refunded for the purchase of the lemon. 

Motorhomes are not included in Delaware’s lemon law. 

Does lemon law apply to used cars in Delaware?

The DE lemon law does not apply to used vehicles.

Lemon Law Criteria in Delaware

In order to qualify for Delaware’s lemon law, the vehicle must meet the following criteria:

  • 4 repair attempts or out-of-service for 30 days. 
  • Issues occur within 1 year or the purchase date or the warranty period. 

What to Do if Your Car is a Lemon in Delaware

If you believe you’ve purchased a lemon car in Delaware, the process will go something like this:

  1. Make the necessary attempts to have the issue repaired under the manufacturer’s warranty. 
  2. Keep records and documentation of all service, communication, and estimates from the dealer, manufacturer, or other authorized agent. 
  3. If you believe the vehicle meets the criteria of a lemon, notify the manufacturer to begin the lemon-law remedy process. 

For official information or legal advice pertaining to your specific circumstances, please contact your attorney or the Delaware consumer protection agency.