Are you buying, selling, or registering a vehicle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Get a free quote.


Please Enter your ZIP Code to Get Started.

A “lemon car” describes a Kansas vehicle that you purchased that has a manufacturing defect that cannot be repaired, and which has resulted in reducing the usability, safety, or value of the car. 

Under the Kansas lemon law, it is the car manufacturer’s responsibility to make things right if your vehicle qualifies as a lemon. 

This page will provide you with a simple overview of the lemon law requirements, criteria, and process in Kansas. 

For more information regarding your own vehicle, be sure to contact legal counsel or your state’s consumer’s affairs office. 

What is the Kansas Lemon Law?

The Kansas lemon law sets requirements for car manufacturers to refund or replace vehicles that have safety or quality defects that cannot be repaired. 

If your vehicle qualifies, you can typically choose to either:

  • Have the vehicle replaced with a new one. 
  • Be refunded for the purchase of the lemon. 

Does lemon law apply to used cars in Kansas?

The lemon law does not apply to used vehicles. 

Lemon Law Criteria in Kansas

In order to qualify for Kansas’s lemon law, the vehicle must meet the following criteria:

  • 4 failed repair attempts, 10 total repairs, or 30 days out-of-service. 
  • Issue occurs within 1 year from the purchase date or the warrant period. 

What to Do if Your Car is a Lemon in Kansas

If you believe you’ve purchased a lemon car in Kansas, the process will go something like this:

  1. Make the necessary attempts to have the issue repaired under the manufacturer’s warranty. 
  2. Keep records and documentation of all service, communication, and estimates from the dealer, manufacturer, or other authorized agent. 
  3. If you believe the vehicle meets the criteria of a lemon, notify the manufacturer to begin the lemon-law remedy process. 

Kansas has a state-certified arbitration process for lemon law buyback claims. 

For official information or legal advice pertaining to your specific circumstances, please contact your attorney or the Kansas consumer protection agency.