Are you buying, selling, or registering a vehicle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Get a free quote.


Please Enter your ZIP Code to Get Started.

A “lemon car” describes a South Dakota vehicle that you purchased that has a manufacturing defect that cannot be repaired, and which has resulted in reducing the usability, safety, or value of the car. 

Under the South Dakota lemon law, it is the car manufacturer’s responsibility to make things right if your vehicle qualifies as a lemon. 

This page will provide you with a simple overview of the lemon law requirements, criteria, and process in South Dakota. 

For more information regarding your own vehicle, be sure to contact legal counsel or your state’s consumer’s affairs office. 

What is the South Dakota Lemon Law?

The South Dakota lemon law sets requirements for car manufacturers to refund or replace vehicles that have safety or quality defects that cannot be repaired. 

If your vehicle qualifies, you can typically choose to either:

  • Have the vehicle replaced with a new one. 
  • Be refunded for the purchase of the lemon. 

Lemon Law Criteria in South Dakota

In order to qualify for South Dakota’s lemon law, the vehicle must meet the following criteria:

  • 4 failed repairs or 30 days out of service. 
  • The first repair attempt must have occurred within the first year or 12,000 miles. 
  • Issue is within 24 months or 24,000 miles from the date of sale. 

Does lemon law apply to used cars in South Dakota?

No, the SD lemon law doesn’t cover used cars. 

What to Do if Your Car is a Lemon in South Dakota

If you believe you’ve purchased a lemon car in South Dakota, the process will go something like this:

  1. Make the necessary attempts to have the issue repaired under the manufacturer’s warranty. 
  2. Keep records and documentation of all service, communication, and estimates from the dealer, manufacturer, or other authorized agent. 
  3. If you believe the vehicle meets the criteria of a lemon, notify the manufacturer to begin the lemon-law remedy process. 

For official information or legal advice pertaining to your specific circumstances, please contact your attorney or the South Dakota consumer protection agency.