Your Mississippi license plate number consists of a unique set of characters that associate your vehicle with:
- Your current registration status and details.
- Your name and address.
- Information about the vehicle itself.
Like the VIN number, the license plate number is another unique identifier of your vehicle.
Whether you’re getting the standard sequential plates or custom license plates, the process is basically the same.
And then after you’ve got your new plates you’ll need to make sure to keep them up to date and renew your car tags each year.
We’ve compiled all the information you’ll need to make it easy to get license plates for your vehicle in Mississippi.
Plus, we’ve got plenty of resources for buying and selling vehicles, get started here:
- Selling a Vehicle in Mississippi.
- Buying a Vehicle in Mississippi.
- Car Buyer’s Guides.
- Car Seller’s Guides.
How to Get a License Plate in Mississippi
When you buy a new or used vehicle in Mississippi, you’ll first need to transfer ownership into your name.
If you’ve bought a car from a dealership, they’ll typically take care of this process for you.
But, if you’ve purchased a car from a private seller, you’ll be responsible for completing the process through the DMV.
Once the title is transferred into your name, you’ll be ready to register the vehicle and get your new license plates. In most cases, you’ll be able to take care of these steps all at once.
You’ll need to apply within 7 days.
Visit your local county tag and tax office to complete the transaction and get your tags.
To get new license plates in Mississippi, you’ll typically need to:
- Provide proof of ownership for the vehicle you need plates for.
- Complete an application for a new Mississippi registration.
- Complete a VIN inspection, depending on the type of vehicle and if you bought it out of state.
- Complete any necessary vehicle safety and emissions inspections.
- Provide proof of car insurance and/or have an active policy for the vehicle that meets Mississippi’s minimum insurance requirements.
- Have paid all necessary state, local, sales and use taxes.
- Pay your initial registration and license plate fees.
In some cases, you may receive your new license plates on the spot. In other cases, your new plates will be mailed to you within about 2 to 3 weeks.
After you’ve received your new Mississippi tags, you’ll need to install them. Learn how to remove and install license plates with this simple guide.
Be sure to mount them properly and affix the necessary car tags to the plate.
How much will my car tag cost in Mississippi?
The exact cost of your car tags will depend on the type of vehicle you have, the type of license plates, and where you live.
Base fees for your car tags typically start based on the value of your vehicle.
The total cost of your car tags will vary depending on:
- The weight of your vehicle.
- The value/age of your vehicle.
- The type of vehicle you have (gasoline, hybrid, electric).
- Sale price, if applicable.
- Local fees and taxes.
- Specialty and personalized license plate fees, if applicable.
For the most up-to-date car tag costs for your vehicle, please visit the official DMV website or refer to your renewal notice.
Does Mississippi require a front license plate?
No, Mississippi does not require a front plate.
Learn more about front license plate requirements here.
Where do you place the car tag in Mississippi?
Car tags go on the rear license plate.
Failing to keep your plates and car tags valid, up-to-date, and properly mounted can result in a ticket. (What are car tags?)
Mississippi License Plate Renewal
In order to continue driving legally, you’ll need to make sure that your car insurance policy is current and your car tags are renewed.
Renewing your license plates in Mississippi is a simple process. You’ll typically have the option of renewing your plates:
- In person.
- By mail.
- Online in certain counties.
For any license plate renewal eligibility questions, you should refer to your renewal notice or contact the Mississippi DMV.
To make sure you’re able to renew your Mississippi license plates, you should have the following information and items ready:
- Your current registration card and/or license plate renewal notice.
- Your Mississippi registration number/license plate number.
- Your vehicle’s VIN. (Where to find the VIN?)
- Your current address.
- Your driver’s license number.
- Your current car insurance policy details.
- Payment for your license plate renewal fees.
Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Damaged License Plate in Mississippi
Remember, in order to drive legally, you’ll need to display your valid, up-to-date license plates on your vehicle.
If your plates have been lost, stolen, or damaged, you’ll want to be sure to replace them as soon as possible.
In the case of a stolen license plate, be sure to contact your local law enforcement office to file a police report first. Learn more about what to do if your license plate is stolen here.
In Mississippi, you’ll typically be able to replace your license plates in person at your local county office.
In order to get replacement license plates or stickers, you’ll typically need to provide:
- Your full name, driver’s license number, and address to prove your identity.
- Your license plate number and registration details.
- Payment for the replacement fee.
Types of License Plates in Mississippi
There are a variety of different types of license plates to choose from in Mississippi.
Fees for most specialty plates range from about $30 to $55.
Available designs and groups include:
- 4-H Club
- Active Reserve
- Afghanistan Veteran
- Air Medal
- Alcorn State University
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity
- Amateur Radio
- American Legion
- Antique Car Vanity
- Antique Cars
- Antique Motorcycle Vanity
- Antique Motorcycles
- Antique Truck Vanity
- Antique Trucks
- Auburn University
- Autism Awareness
- Band of Choctaw Indians
- Bass – Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks
- Belhaven University
- Bicycle Advocacy Group of Mississippi
- Biloxi Public School District
- Blair E Batson Children Hospital
- Board of Contractor
- Booneville School District
- Boy Scouts of America
- Breast Cancer Awareness
- Bronze Star
- Bronze Star Disabled
- Butterfly – Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks
- Catch A Dream Foundation
- Cattleman’s Foundation
- Children’s Advocacy Center
- Choose Life
- Civil Air Patrol
- Coastal Conservation
- Colon Cancer Prevention
- Columbia School District
- Combat Veteran
- Combat Veteran Air Force
- Combat Veteran Army
- Combat Veteran Coast Guard
- Combat Veteran Marine
- Combat Veteran Navy
- Deer – Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks
- Defense Freedom Medal
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority
- Delta State University
- Delta Waterfowl
- Dental Hygienists
- Department of Transportation
- Disabled American Veteran
- Disabled American Veteran Less than 100% permanent service-connected
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Dixie National
- Down Syndrome Awareness
- Ducks Unlimited, Inc
- Dyslexia Awareness
- East Central Attendance Center
- Electric Power Association
- Enterprise School District
- Ex – POW
- Ex US House of Representative
- Ex US Senator
- Fannie Lou Hamer Cancer Foundation
- Farm Families of Mississippi
- Fire fighter
- Forestry Association
- Former Governor
- Former Lieutenant Governor
- Friends of Jackson County Animal Shelter
- Gentry High School
- George County School District
- Germantown High School
- God Bless America – Sunflower Consolidated School Preservation
- Gold Star Air Force
- Gold Star Army
- Gold Star Coast Guard
- Gold Star Family
- Gold Star Marine Corp
- Gold Star Navy
- Governor, Former Governor Lt. Governor, Former Lt. Governor
- Grand Lodge
- Grand Lodge Motorcycle
- Gulf Coast Regional Tourism Partnership
- Gulfport Police Athletic League
- Gulfport School District
- Hattiesburg School District
- Hearing Impaired
- Hearing Impaired Motorcycle
- Heroines of Jericho
- Historic Natchez/City of Natchez
- Holmes Community College
- Honoring Fallen Officers
- Honoring Veterans
- Hummingbird – Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks
- I Care for Animals
- I Love Mississippi – Sunflower Consolidated School Preservation
- Institute for Marine Mammal Studies – Protect Dolphin
- Institute for Marine Mammal Studies – Shark
- Iraq Veteran
- Jackson State University
- Jackson Zoo
- Kappa Alpha Psi
- Kemp’s Ridley Sea Turtle
- Killed in Action
- Knights of Columbus
- Lab – Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks
- Lafayette County School District
- Lanier High School
- Laurel School District
- Law Enforcement Officer – Police
- Law Enforcement Officer – Sheriff
- Law Enforcement Officer – State
- Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital
- Lieutenant Governor
- Louisiana State University
- Madison Jaguars
- Mallard – Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks
- Marine Corps
- Medal of Honor – Army
- Medal of Honor – Marine
- Meridian Public School
- Millsaps College
- Mississippi Afterschool Alliance
- Mississippi Association of Emergency Services
- Mississippi Blood Services, Inc
- Mississippi Children’s Museum
- Mississippi College
- Mississippi Family Physicians
- Mississippi Golf Association
- Mississippi Home of the Blues
- Mississippi House of Representatives
- Mississippi Law Enforcement Officers Association Supporter
- Mississippi Loggers Association
- Mississippi Moto Steps
- Mississippi Moto Steps – Motorcycle
- Mississippi Nurses Foundation
- Mississippi Organ Donor
- Mississippi Public Broadcasting
- Mississippi Public Schools
- Mississippi Senator
- Mississippi State Equine Association
- Mississippi State University
- Mississippi Tennis Association
- Mississippi Toughest Kids Foundation
- Mississippi University for Women
- Mississippi Valley State University
- Mixed Martial Arts
- Motorcycle Vanity
- Motorcycle Vanity Trailer
- MW Stringer Grand Lodge – F & AM Prince Hall Affiliated
- NASCAR (Generic)
- NASCAR 03 Dale Earnhardt
- NASCAR 04 Kevin Harvick
- NASCAR 05 Kasey Kahne
- NASCAR 06 Trevor Bayne
- NASCAR 11 Denny Hamlin
- NASCAR 14 Clint Bowyer
- NASCAR 18 Kyle Busch
- NASCAR 41 Kurt Busch
- NASCAR 43 Richard Petty
- NASCAR 48 Jimmie Johnson
- NASCAR 88 Dale Earnhardt Jr
- NASCAR Ford Racing
- NASCAR NASCAR Racing
- National Rifle Association
- National Rifle Association – Trailer
- National Wild Turkey Federation
- Navy and Marine Corps
- New Orleans Saints Football
- Oak Grove School
- Ocean Springs Athletic Foundation
- Ole Miss Welcome Home
- Olive Branch High School
- Omega Psi Phi
- Omega Psi Phi – Motorcycle
- Oxford School District
- Pearl Harbor
- Pearl Harbor – Motorcycle
- Pearl Harbor Survivor and Purple Heart recipients
- Pearl River Valley Water
- Pearl School District
- Petal School District
- Phi Beta Sigma
- Private Colleges or Universities
- Profession of Pharmacy
- Professional Firefighter
- Professional Hair Designers
- Public Junior College or Community College
- Public Universities (in state)
- Public Universities (out of state)
- Purple Heart Disabled
- Purple Heart Motorcycle
- Purple Heart Original
- Rabbit – Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks
- Rankin County School District
- Realtors (Mississippi Association)
- Retired Air Force
- Retired Army
- Retired as Career Law Enforcement Officer
- Retired Coast Guard
- Retired Marine
- Retired Merchant Marine
- Retired National Guard
- Retired Navy
- Retired Reserves
- Retired Trooper
- Ridgeland High School
- Rotary International
- Rust College
- Sheriff’s Office
- Silver Star
- Soil Conservation
- Sons of Confederate Veteran – Motorcycle
- Sons of Confederate Veterans
- South Panola School District
- Special National Guard
- Speckled Trout – Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks
- St Jude Children’s Hospital
- St Martin High School
- St Patrick High School
- Starkville – Oktibbeha Football
- State Flag
- State National Guard
- Stone County School District
- Street Rod
- Support Teachers
- Surviving Spouse of Killed in Action
- Tougaloo College
- Tupelo Elvis Presley Fan Club
- Tupelo Public School
- Turkey – Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks
- University of Alabama
- University of Memphis
- University of Mississippi
- University of Southern Mississippi
- US House of Representative
- US Senator
- Vancleave Home Run Club
- Vanity (Personal)
- Vanity Trailer
- Veteran Air Force
- Veteran Army
- Veteran Coast Guard
- Veteran Marine
- Veteran Motorcycle Air Force
- Veteran Motorcycle Army
- Veteran Motorcycle Coast Guard
- Veteran Motorcycle Marine
- Veteran Motorcycle Navy
- Veteran Navy
- Veteran of Foreign Wars
- Veterans of the United States Armed Forces Supporters
- Vietnam Veteran
- Volunteer Service
- West Jones High School
- West Lauderdale Knight
- Wildlife Enforcement
- Wildlife Federation
- Wildlife Fisheries and Parks – Bass Butterfly Deer Hummingbird Lab Rabbit Speckled Trout Turkey
- William Carey University
- Youth Soccer Association
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority
For more information about Mississippi license plates as well as official forms, fees, and details, check out the state’s website at the following link: https://www.dor.ms.gov/Pages/default.aspx