Enter a Subaru VIN to Get Unique Info, Specs, and Details for the Vehicle…
Get instant, free insights about any Subaru VIN with VINvaquero.com – a Free VIN Decoder Tool
How to Decode your Subaru VIN Number
Our free Subaru VIN decoder is here for you to get started.
Simply enter your Subaru VIN into the search bar above to check the global database. We’ll run the search and return all the pertinent information we can find.
Checking a Subaru VIN has never been easier with VINvaquero.com!
If you have an older VIN from a vehicle that was produced prior to 1981, the VIN decoder may not work.
Check Subaru Specs by VIN
All Subaru vehicles manufactured since 1981 will feature a 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN) that can be used to quickly decode information about the vehicle, such as:
- Location of manufacture and the manufacturing plant.
- Body type and styling options.
- Details about the engine and transmission.
- Additional features and add-ons.
The Subaru VIN can also be used for:
- Ordering Vehicle History Reports.
- Getting the value of a specific Subaru.
- Finding Subaru recalls.
- Searching for compatible parts for the specific Subaru year and model.
- Learning about the vehicle’s ownership history.
- Finding out the vehicle’s accident and repair history.
- Getting free, customized insurance quotes.
- Checking if the Subaru is stolen.
Whether you have a Subaru vehicle you own or are looking to buy one, decoding the VIN and using the VIN for a variety of tasks can come in handy.
First Digit: Country of Origin
The first character in your Subaru VIN tells you where it came from. You’ll either see:
- J: Japan.
- 4: USA.
Second Digit: Manufacturing Division
The second character describes the make/manufacturer, which may include:
- F: Fuji Heavy Industries.
- S: Subaru-Isuzu Automotive
Third Digit: Vehicle Type
In the 3rd digit of the VIN, you’ll see the vehicle type code, which may read:
- 1, 3: Passenger Vehicle.
- 2, 4: Multi-purpose Vehicle.
Fourth Digit: Subaru Model
The fourth character of the VIN is the start of the Vehicle Descriptor Section. The fourth character tells you the model of your Subaru, which may read:
- A: DL/GL/GL-10/Leone/Loyale/Alcyone XT/XT6
- B: Legacy/Baja
- C: Alcyone SVX
- G: Impreza
- K: Justy
- S: Forester
- V: WRX/LEVORG
- W: Tribeca/B9 Tribeca/Ascent
- Z: BRZ/FRS/GT86
Fifth Digit: Body Style
In the fifth position, you can check which body style your vehicle has. Examples include:
- A: XX-94 Justy 3-Door
- B: 80-84 2nd gen. Leone/DL/GL sedan
- C: 1st gen. Sedan (Impreza/Legacy); 85-94 Leone/DL/GL/Loyale sedan
- D: XX-94 Justy 5-Door; 2nd gen. Sedan (Impreza/Legacy)
- E: 3rd gen. Sedan (Impreza/Legacy)
- F: 1st gen. Wagon (raised-roof Legacy/Impreza/Forester); 80-89 2nd gen. Leone/DL/GL hatchback
- G: 2nd gen. Wagon (raised-roof Legacy/Outback/Impreza/Forester); 85-94 3rd gen. Leone/DL/GL/Loyale hatchback
- H: 3rd. gen Legacy/Outback Wagon/Impreza Hatch
- J: 1st gen. non-raised-roof Legacy Wagon
- K: 2nd gen. non-raised-roof Legacy Wagon
- L: 4th gen. Legacy Sedan
- M: 1st gen. Impreza Coupe; 80-84 2nd gen. Leone/DL/GL wagon; 5th gen. Legacy Sedan, 1st gen Ascent
- M: Levorg Wagon
- N: 85-94 3rd. gen Leone/DL/GL/GL-10/Loyale wagon
- P: 4th gen. Legacy/Outback Wagon
- R: Impreza Hatch Widebody
- S: 6th Gen. Outback Wagon
- T: Baja; 80-84 2nd gen. Leone/DL/GL Brat
- U: 85-87 2nd gen. Leone/DL/GL Brat
- V: Impreza WRX Sedan Widebody
- W: 80-84 2nd gen. Leone/DL/GL coupe
- X: XT/SVX Coupe; Tribeca
Sixth Digit: Subaru Engine Type
The 6th VIN character tells you what type of engine your vehicle has. Yours may read:
- 1: 1300cc – 1989; 1800cc FWD 1996
- 2: 1600cc – 1989; 1800cc Impreza 1993-95; 1800cc Impreza AWD 1996-97; 2000cc AWD Turbo 2002-05
- 3: 1600 4WD – 1989; 3300cc FWD/AWD 1992-1995; 2200cc FWD 1996-99
- 4: 1800cc 1985-94; 2200cc AWD 1996-2000; FB 1600cc DIT AWD 2015+
- 5: 1800cc 4WD w/out air susp – 1988, 1989; 1800cc 4WD 1990-94 2000cc 2004-
- 6: 2200cc 1990; 2200cc FWD/AWD 1991-95; 2200cc AWD (Ghost); 2500cc AWD 1996-2000; 2500cc AWD
- 7: 1800cc 4WD w/ air susp; 2200cc FWD 1989-94; 2500cc AWD Turbo
- 8: 2500cc FWD; 1200cc 4WD 1991; 1200cc AWD 1992-94; 3000cc 2001-2009; 3300cc FWD/AWD 1996-97
- 9: 2500cc 4WD w/ & w/out air susp 1989-91; 3600cc 2008-up
- A: 2400cc AWD
- D: 2000cc DOHC Turbo Diesel
Seventh Digit: Sub-Model
The seventh digit of the VIN further describes what type of Subaru you have. These include:
- 1: Base
- 2: Brighton
- 3: L
- 4: 2.5GT with cloth
- 5: LS/S
- 6: LSi, Outback base
- 7: GT/RS, Outback AWP
- 8: Outback Limited Wagon/SUS
- 9: Postal Vehicle/WRX/Outback VDC
- 0: Outback L.L. Bean
- K: STI WRX/Levorg/Outback
- P: Ascent
- V: XV Crosstrek
Eighth Digit: Restraint Type/GVWR
For passenger vehicles, the 8th digit describes the restraint systems and airbags. For multi-purpose vehicles, you’ll see the weight class. These may include:
- 1: No Passive Restraint
- 2: Automatic Seat Belt without Air Bag
- 3: Automatic Seat Belt with Air Bag
- 4: Manual Seat Belt w/ Air Bag 1993-94; Automatic Seat Belt w/ Driver/Passenger Air Bags
- 5: Manual Seat Belt w/ Driver/Passenger Air Bags
- 6: Manual Seat Belt w/ Driver/Passenger Air Bags and Side Air Bags
- A: Class A (GVWR 3000 lbs. or less)
- B: Class B (GVWR 3001-4000 lbs.)
- C: Class C (GVWR 4001-5000 lbs.)
- D: Class D (GVWR 5001-6000 lbs.)
Ninth Digit: Check Digit
The 9th digit of every modern VIN is a security check.
This ensures that the VIN is valid and accurate.
Tenth Digit: Subaru Model Year
The model year is represented by the 10th digit of your Subaru VIN. This may read:
- 1: 2001
- 2: 2002
- 3 :2003
- 4: 2004
- 5: 2005
- 6: 2006
- 7: 2007
- 8: 2008
- 9: 2009
- A: 1980, 2010
- B: 1981, 2011
- C: 1982, 2012
- D: 1983, 2013
- E: 1984, 2014
- F :1985, 2015
- G: 1986, 2016
- H: 1987, 2017
- J: 1988, 2018
- K: 1989, 2019
- L: 1990
- M: 1991
- N: 1992
- P: 1993
- R: 1994
- S: 1995
- T: 1996
- V: 1997
- W: 1998
- X: 1999
- Y: 2000
You can learn more about VIN model years here.
Eleventh Digit: Manufacturing Plant & Transmission
The 11th character in your Subaru VIN will tell you both the assembly plant where the vehicle was produced as well as the transmission type.
For assembly plant, you’ll see:
- 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9: Lafayette, Indiana
- A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,K,L,P: Gunma, Japan.
Transmission codes include:
- 1: FWD 5MT
- 3: Full-time AWD 6MT/AT
- 4: Full-time AWD 5AT
- 5: Sport Shift Automatic
- 6: Full-time AWD 5MT
- 7: Full-time AWD 4EAT
- 8: Full-time AWD 4EAT (Postal RHD)
- 9: FWD 4EAT
- A: FWD 4MT
- B: FWD 5MT
- C: FWD 3AT/ECVT
- D: On-demand AWD 5MT
- E: 4spd 4wd Dual Range MT 81-84, 85-89 Hatchback, 85-89 Brat. 5spd 4wd dual range MT 85-89
- F: On-demand AWD 3AT
- G: Full-time AWD 5MT. Full-time AWD CVT.
- H: Full-time AWD 4EAT
- K: FWD 4EAT
- L: Full-time AWD 6MT
- P: Full-time AWD 4EAT (Postal RHD)
Characters 12 to 17: Production Sequence/Serial Number
The last digits of your Subaru VIN tell you its production number.
These will be unique to every individual Subaru that is manufactured.
Where to find a VIN on a Subaru?
Your Subaru VIN will typically be found in a handful of locations on the vehicle. The common ones include:
- On a VIN plate attached to the dashboard near the driver’s side windshield.
- Stamped onto the frame.
- Near the engine.
- On the door jamb.
Additionally, the Subaru VIN can be found on your DMV and insurance paperwork, such as the:
- Registration card.
- Vehicle title.
- Insurance policy documents.
- Insurance ID cards.
WMIs for Subaru Vehicles
The WMI, or World Manufacturer Identifier, is the first 3 digits of the Subaru VIN.
These digits provide you with:
- The country where the Subaru was built.
- The Manufacturer name.
- The vehicle type and manufacturer division.
The first 3 digits in the VIN, or the WMI, can be used to quickly find out where a specific vehicle was produced, who produced it, and the type of vehicle it is.
|WMI||Country of Origin||Manufacturer Name||Vehicle Type|
|4S3||UNITED STATES (USA)||FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES U.S.A., INC. (C/O SUBARU OF AMERICA)||Passenger Car|
|4S4||UNITED STATES (USA)||FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES U.S.A., INC. (C/O SUBARU OF AMERICA)||Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle (MPV)|
|JF2||UNITED STATES (USA)||FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES U.S.A., INC. (C/O SUBARU OF AMERICA)||Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle (MPV)|
|JF1||UNITED STATES (USA)||FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES U.S.A., INC. (C/O SUBARU OF AMERICA)||Passenger Car|
|JF4||JAPAN||FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES U.S.A., INC. (C/O SUBARU OF AMERICA)||Passenger Car|
|JF3||JAPAN||FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES U.S.A., INC. (C/O SUBARU OF AMERICA)||Truck|
Subaru Models in the VIN Decoder Database
Below you’ll find a list of all Subaru models manufactured since 1981 that you can decode with our VIN checker.
Subaru models in the database include:
- B9 Tribeca
- XV CrossTrek