Salvage Title in Arizona

If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title. 

Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Arizona until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured. 

This page will cover the salvage title process in Arizona, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road. 

For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Arizona DMV office or visit the official DMV website:

What is a Salvage Title in Arizona?

Like many other states, a salvage title in Arizona means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy. 

This includes vehicles that have been stolen, wrecked, flood damaged, or damaged to any other extent in which it was deemed to be “uneconomical to repair.”

Arizona salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected. 

In order to register and legally drive a vehicle that has been branded as salvage, you’ll need to apply for a restored salvage certificate of title. 

If you want to sell your salvage vehicle, you are required by law to disclose to the buyer that the vehicle has been branded salvage. 

How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Arizona

To clear a salvage title in Arizona, you’ll need to apply for a Restored Salvage Certificate of Title. 

These titles are issued to vehicles that have been branded salvage, but have since been rebuilt and repaired for safe highway use. 

Before a restored title can be issued, the vehicle will need to pass a Level III vehicle inspection. 

This inspection will confirm that no stolen parts have been used in the restoration of the vehicle and that the vehicle is safe for highway use. During the inspection, the peace officer will check VINs, documentation, and all major parts including the front end assembly, engine, transmission, and rear end. 

When you get the vehicle inspected, you should be prepared with the following:

  • Proof of ownership of the vehicle and major parts used, which may include:
    • Certificate of Title. 
    • Registration.
    • Receipts and invoices. 
    • Bills of Sale. 
  • A valid driver’s license.

Receipts for major parts used in the repair must include the following information:

  • A description of the vehicle where the parts came from (VIN, year, make, model). 
  • The driver’s license number/tax ID number, name, address, and signature of the business or person who sold the parts. 
  • The title number, if applicable. 

After the vehicle has passed the Level III inspection, you’ll be ready to title and register it again. 

Register a Salvage Title Car in Arizona

To title and register a salvage vehicle in Arizona, you’ll need to visit your local MVD office and submit the following:

  • Proof of passing the Level III vehicle inspection. 
  • Proof of emissions compliance, if applicable. 
  • The Salvage Certificate of Title. 
  • A completed title and registration application. 
  • Proof of liability insurance. 
  • Payment for the $4 title fee and any registration fee and taxes.

Related Pages:

Next Steps

If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Arizona, has the free resources you need to get back on the road. 

Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: