Salvage Title in Connecticut

Car Insurance Tip!
How to Save on Car Insurance in Five Minutes
  • Car insurance costs more in 2024.
  • Don't let your rates increase.
  • Compare rates to save big!
Compare Rates Now Car Image

If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title. 

Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Connecticut until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured. 

This page will cover the salvage title process in Connecticut, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road. 

For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Connecticut DMV office or visit the official DMV website:

What is a Salvage Title in Connecticut?

Like many other states, a salvage title in Connecticut means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy. 

Connecticut salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected. 

If you do not plan on rebuilding the vehicle, the license plates and registrations can be transferred to a different vehicle. 

How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Connecticut

In order to re-title and re-register a salvage vehicle, you’ll first need to pass a CT salvage vehicle inspection. 

CT DMV only provides salvage vehicle inspections at the Wethersfield location from Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. You must get their by 11 a.m.

Before you can complete the inspection, you’ll need to:

  • Visit a DMV Branch office. 
  • Purchase an inspection form and pay the $88 salvage inspection fee.
  • Provide receipts for major parts used in the rebuild. If applicable, receipts should include the VIN of the vehicle that part came from. 
  • Submit a copy of the original insurance appraisal that resulted in the Salvage Title stamp. 
  • Submit a Completed Salvage Vehicle Repair Report (form K-186). 
  • Provide photographs of the repaired parts of the vehicle. The photos must include:
    • The entire vehicle from each corner of the car. 
    • The damage before the repairs were made. 
    • The repaired sections and how they were attached. 
  • A completed Air Bag Certification Statement (form B-303): 

Note that if you are bringing your car to the DMV as a private individual, the salvage vehicles can only be transported to the DMV on a flat-bed trailer or car carrier. No wheels of the salvage vehicle are permitted to touch the ground. 

Refer to the Salvage Inspection Fact Sheet for more information: 

Register a Salvage Title Car in Connecticut

Once the vehicle has passed the inspection, you’ll be able to apply for a new title and registration at the DMV. 

To do so, you’ll need to visit your local DMV office with the following:

  • Your Salvage Inspection documentation. 
  • A completed application for title and registration. 
  • Proof of car insurance. 
  • Payment for your title and registration fees. 

The new title will have the word “Rebuilt” stamped to the vehicle history section. 

Related Pages:

Next Steps

If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Connecticut, has the free resources you need to get back on the road. 

Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: