If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Idaho Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title.
Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Idaho until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured.
This page will cover the salvage title process in Idaho, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road.
For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Idaho DMV office or visit the official DMV website:
What is a Salvage Title in Idaho?
Like many other states, a salvage title in Idaho means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy.
Idaho salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected.
If you plan to sell the salvage vehicle, you are required by law to disclose that it has been branded as salvage.
If you plan to keep the salvage vehicle, you can apply for the salvage certificate of title yourself by submitting the following to the ID DMV:
- The certificate of title.
- A completed Application for Salvage Certificate (Form ITD 3312): http://itd.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/3312.pdf
- A completed VIN Inspection, if applicable.
- Payment for the $14 salvage certificate fee.
How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Idaho
Once a salvage certificate has been issued, the vehicle cannot be legally driven until it has been repaired to meet the vehicle equipment standards in the ID vehicle code, and re-registered.
To apply for a rebuilt title, you’ll need to submit the following:
- The salvage certificate.
- A completed Salvage Vehicle Statement (form ITD 3311): https://itd.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/3311.pdf
- Any supporting documents for the repairs.
- A completed application for title and registration.
- Proof of insurance.
- Payment for your $14 title fee and license plate fee.
The newly issued title will have the brand “Rebuilt Salvage”.
- What is a Salvage Title?
- What is a Rebuilt Title?
- Salvage Title Insurance
- Buying a Car with a Salvage Title
If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Idaho, VINvaquero.com has the free resources you need to get back on the road.
Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: