If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Indiana Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title.
Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Indiana until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured.
This page will cover the salvage title process in Indiana, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road.
For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Indiana DMV office or visit the official DMV website:
What is a Salvage Title in Indiana?
Like many other states, a salvage title in Indiana means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy.
To get the salvage certificate of title, you’ll need to submit the following to the IN BMV:
- Application for Certificate of Title (Form 205).
- Salvage Title Affidavit (Form 49891): https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=5658
- Current Certificate of Title.
- Insurance settlement documents.
- Payment for the $4 salvage title fees and any other applicable fees.
For more details, please refer to the Indiana BMV Salvage Title checklist: https://www.in.gov/bmv/titles/files/Salvage_Title_Application_Packet.pdf
Indiana salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected.
How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Indiana
In order to be able to register and legally drive a salvage vehicle again, you’ll need to apply for a rebuilt title brand.
The vehicle will first need to pass a physical inspection completed by an Indiana police officer.
To apply for a rebuilt title in Indiana, you’ll need to:
- Complete an Application for Certificate of Title (Form 205).
- Provide the salvage title.
- Complete an Affidavit of Restoration for a Salvage Vehicle (Form 44606): https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=5105
- Provide proof of ownership, receipts, and documentation for all major parts used in the restoration. Used parts will require completion of a General Affidavit (Form 37964): https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=4976
- Provide proof of your address.
- Pay the $15 title fee and any other fees that may apply.
For more details, please refer to the Indiana Salvage Vehicle Restoration packet: https://www.in.gov/bmv/titles/files/Salvage_Restoration_Packet.pdf
Register a Salvage Title Car in Indiana
Once the rebuilt title has been issued, you’ll be able to register the vehicle again.
Submit your registration paperwork, fees, and proof of insurance to the IN BMV office.
- What is a Salvage Title?
- What is a Rebuilt Title?
- Salvage Title Insurance
- Buying a Car with a Salvage Title
If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Indiana, VINvaquero.com has the free resources you need to get back on the road.
Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: