Salvage Title in Kentucky

Car Insurance Tip!
How to Save on Car Insurance in Five Minutes
  • Car insurance costs more in 2024.
  • Don't let your rates increase.
  • Compare rates to save big!
Compare Rates Now Car Image

If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Kentucky Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title. 

Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Kentucky until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured. 

This page will cover the salvage title process in Kentucky, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road. 

For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Kentucky DMV office or visit the official DMV website:

What is a Salvage Title in Kentucky?

Like many other states, a salvage title in Kentucky means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy. 

If you plan to keep the vehicle and rebuild it, you’ll first need to get a salvage title. 

To obtain a salvage receipt for your vehicle, you’ll need to submit the following to your local county clerk:

  • Your certificate of title. 
  • Your current license plate. 
  • Proof of your identification. 
  • An odometer disclosure form. 
  • Payment for the $9 title fee, $3 clerk fee, and current year’s property taxes. 

Kentucky salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected. 

How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Kentucky

After the necessary repairs have been made, you’ll need to schedule a vehicle inspection.

Once the inspection is passed, you must submit the following documents to register and title your salvage vehicle:

  • The current salvage certificate of title. 
  • The inspection report. 
  • A completed application for title/registration (Form TC96-182). 
  • A completed Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Assembled from Wrecked or Salvaged Motor Vehicles (Form TC960215). 
  • Receipts and bills of sale for all repairs and major components used in the rebuild. 

These forms should be submitted to the Kentucky Department of Transportation:

Department of Transportation

200 Mero St.

Frankfort, KY 40622

Once your local county clerk has received written authorization from the DOT, you can then submit the following to complete your title and registration application for the salvage vehicle: 

  • Proof of car insurance. 
  • Payment for the applicable fees:
    • Title fee: $9. 
    • Speed title: $25. 
    • Clerk fee: $3. 
    • Registration fee: $21. 
    • Inspection fee: $5 or $21 if the inspector travels to you. 

Related Pages:

Next Steps

If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Kentucky, has the free resources you need to get back on the road. 

Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: