If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Maine Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title.
Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Maine until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured.
This page will cover the salvage title process in Maine, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road.
For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Maine DMV office or visit the official DMV website:
What is a Salvage Title in Maine?
Like many other states, a salvage title in Maine means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy.
A total loss occurs when the cost to repair the vehicle exceeds 75% of the vehicle’s fair market value.
Maine salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected.
How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Maine
Depending on the nature of the repairs necessary to make the vehicle roadworthy, Maine BMV will issue either a:
- Rebuilt Title, which means that fewer than 5 major components were replaced.
- Rebuilt Salvage Title, which means that 5 or more major components were replaced or a front/rear clip was used in the repair.
After the repairs have been made, the vehicle will need to pass an inspection.
Be prepared to submit the following:
- Affidavit of Rebuilt or Repaired Salvage Vehicle (Form MVT-103): https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/forms/MVT-103%20(REV%2009-2021)-Fillable.pdf
- Receipts and Bills of Sale for major components used in the repair.
Once the inspection has been passed, you can then submit the completion certificate along with the following items to your local BMV office:
- Application for a Rebuilt Title.
- Affidavit of Rebuilt or Repaired Salvage Vehicle.
- Documentation for parts used in the repair.
- Payment for the rebuilt title fee.
Register a Salvage Title Car in Maine
Once the Maine rebuilt title has been issued, you can re-register the vehicle.
Visit your local ME BMV office to submit your proof of ownership, registration application, proof of car insurance, and registration fees.
- What is a Salvage Title?
- What is a Rebuilt Title?
- Salvage Title Insurance
- Buying a Car with a Salvage Title
If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Maine, VINvaquero.com has the free resources you need to get back on the road.
Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: