Salvage Title in Maryland

If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Maryland Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title. 

Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Maryland until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured. 

This page will cover the salvage title process in Maryland, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road. 

For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Maryland DMV office or visit the official DMV website:

What is a Salvage Title in Maryland?

Like many other states, a salvage title in Maryland means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy. 

Vehicles with more than 75% damage cost to value or vehicles that have flood damage are generally deemed a total loss. 

Maryland salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected. 

How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Maryland

Before you can register a previously salvaged vehicle, it will need to pass an inspection conducted by the Maryland State Police (MSP). 

Schedule an inspection here: 

During the inspection, the office will make sure that no stolen parts have been used in the construction of the vehicle and that no serial numbers or VIN numbers have been removed. 

You should be prepared to provide the following:

  • A completed inspection checklist. 
  • Proof of your ID. 
  • Your certificate of salvage. 
  • Proof of ownership for the vehicle and major parts used in the rebuild.

If the vehicle passes the inspection, the inspector will sign and emboss the certificate of salvage, which you’ll need to submit to the MVA to receive the rebuilt title. 

To apply for a rebuilt title, you’ll need to submit the following to the MD MVA:

  • Proof of ownership of the vehicle. 
  • A complete APplication for Certificate of Title: 
  • Proof of a MD salvage inspection. 
  • Proof of purchase price, if applicable. 
  • Odometer disclosure statement, if applicable. 
  • Payment for the title fees. 

Applications can be submitted in person to the MVA, a licensed agent, or by mail to: 


Mail In Title Unit

6601 Ritchie Highway, NE

Glen Burnie, MD 21062

Register a Salvage Title Car in Maryland

Once the rebuilt title has been issued, you can register the car by:

  • Providing a Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate. 
  • Application for registration. 
  • Proof of car insurance. 
  • Payment for your registration fees. 

Related Pages:

Next Steps

If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Maryland, has the free resources you need to get back on the road. 

Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: