Salvage Title in Massachusetts

Car Insurance Tip!
How to Save on Car Insurance in Five Minutes
  • Car insurance costs more in 2024.
  • Don't let your rates increase.
  • Compare rates to save big!
Compare Rates Now Car Image

If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Massachusetts Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title. 

Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Massachusetts until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured. 

This page will cover the salvage title process in Massachusetts, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road. 

For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Massachusetts DMV office or visit the official DMV website:

What is a Salvage Title in Massachusetts?

Like many other states, a salvage title in Massachusetts means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy. 

Total loss and salvage vehicles include vehicles that:

  • Have been stolen. 
  • Vehicle wrecked, destroyed, or damaged due to a crash, fire, water, or other circumstances. 
  • Are uneconomical to repair. 

Depending on the nature of the damages the RMV can issue either a repairable salvage brand (REPR) or a parts-only brand (PART).

Secondary salvage brands denote the nature of the damages, and include:

  • Collision (COLL)
  • Fire (FIRE)
  • Flood (FLOO)
  • Flood/Salt (SALT)
  • Theft (THEF)
  • Vandalism (VAND)
  • Other (OTHR)

If you plan to keep and repair the vehicle, you’ll be required to apply for a salvage certificate of title through the MA RMV. 

Massachusetts salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected. 

How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Massachusetts

In order to get a salvage title cleared so the vehicle can be registered and driven again, it will first need to pass a salvage inspection. 

To get started, schedule an appointment after the repairs have been completed: 

During the inspection, you’ll need to provide the following:

  • A completed Application for Inspection of a Salvaged Motor Vehicle: 
  • Receipt for your $50 salvage inspection payment to MassDOT. 
  • Ownership documentation including the salvage title. 
  • The insurance appraisal report. 
  • Documentation and bills of sale for all major components used in the repairs. 
    • Used parts require the VIN, year, make, and model of the vehicle from which they came from. 

After the vehicle passes the inspection, you’ll be ready to apply for a reconstructed title. 

To do so, visit your local RMV service center with the following:

  • A completed Registration and Title Application that has been stamped and signed by your insurance agent. 
  • Your salvage title. 
  • Salve inspection certificate. 
  • Payment for the $75 title fee. 

Register a Salvage Title Car in Massachusetts

Once the salvage inspection has been passed and a rebuilt title has been issued, you’ll be able to re-register your vehicle for highway-use again. 

You’ll need to pay your registration fees and provide the necessary paperwork to your local RMV office. 

Related Pages:

Next Steps

If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Massachusetts, has the free resources you need to get back on the road. 

Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: