Salvage Title in Michigan

Car Insurance Tip!
How to Save on Car Insurance in Five Minutes
  • Car insurance costs more in 2024.
  • Don't let your rates increase.
  • Compare rates to save big!
Compare Rates Now Car Image

If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Michigan Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title. 

Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Michigan until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured. 

This page will cover the salvage title process in Michigan, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road. 

For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Michigan DMV office or visit the official DMV website:

What is a Salvage Title in Michigan?

Like many other states, a salvage title in Michigan means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy. 

Michigan salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected. 

How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Michigan

In order to get a salvage title cleared in Michigan, you’ll need to make the necessary repairs and complete a vehicle inspection with a certified law enforcement office. 

Salvage vehicle inspections cost $100. You should be prepared to submit:

After the vehicle pasases the inspection, you can apply for a Michigan rebuilt title. To do so, you’ll need to visit your local SOS office with the following:

  • The salvage title. 
  • The completed application for Salvage Vehicle Inspection signed by the inspector. 
  • A completed application for Salvage Vehicle Recertification (Form TR-13b). 
  • Payment for the $15 title fee.  

Register a Salvage Title Car in Michigan

Once the rebuilt title has been issued, you’ll be able to get a new insurance policy and register the vehicle for road use again. 

Be prepared to submit the following to your local SOS branch:

  • Proof of ownership. 
  • Proof of car insurance. 
  • A completed registration application. 
  • Payment for your registration fees and taxes. 

Related Pages:

Next Steps

If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Michigan, has the free resources you need to get back on the road. 

Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: