Salvage Title in Minnesota

If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Minnesota Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title. 

Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Minnesota until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured. 

This page will cover the salvage title process in Minnesota, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road. 

For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Minnesota DMV office or visit the official DMV website:

What is a Salvage Title in Minnesota?

Like many other states, a salvage title in Minnesota means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy.

In Minnesota, salvage titles are required in the following scenarios:

  • The vehicle has an out-of-state salvage title. 
  • An insurance company has paid out a total loss claim. 
  • The owner of the vehicle was self-insured and the damage costs are over 80% of the vehicle’s value.  

Minnesota salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected. 

How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Minnesota

To clear a salvage title, you’ll need to complete a DVS salvage inspection that will verify that none of the parts have been stolen. 

Be prepared to provide the following during your inspection appointment:

  • The salvage title. 
  • A Declaration of Reconstruction (Form PS2015). 
  • Receipts and bills of sale for all major parts that were replaced. 

Once the inspection is complete, you’ll need to submit the following to the DVS:

  • The salvage title. 
  • A Declaration of Reconstruction (Form PS2015). 
  • Receipts and bills of sale for all major parts that were replaced. 
  • The completed inspection certificate. 
  • Payment for the $35 salvage inspection fee and $10 filing fee. 

At this point, the title brand will be changed from salvage to prior-salvage. 

Register a Salvage Title Car in Minnesota

Once the title brand has been changed, you’ll be able to register the vehicle again. 

To do so, you’ll need to visit your local DVS office and:

  • Provide the title. 
  • Complete a registration application. 
  • Provide proof of insurance. 
  • Complete any necessary safety and emissions inspections. 
  • Pay your registration fees and taxes. 

Related Pages:

Next Steps

If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Minnesota, has the free resources you need to get back on the road. 

Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: