Salvage Title in New Hampshire

Car Insurance Tip!
How to Save on Car Insurance in Five Minutes
  • Car insurance costs more in 2024.
  • Don't let your rates increase.
  • Compare rates to save big!
Compare Rates Now Car Image

If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the New Hampshire Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title. 

Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in New Hampshire until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured. 

This page will cover the salvage title process in New Hampshire, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road. 

For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local New Hampshire DMV office or visit the official DMV website:

What is a Salvage Title in New Hampshire?

Like many other states, a salvage title in New Hampshire means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy. 

After the insurance company has deemed a vehicle to be a total loss, the owner of the vehicle will need to apply for a salvage certificate of title by submitting the following items to the DMV:

New Hampshire salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected. 

How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in New Hampshire

Before you can drive the vehicle again, you’ll need to pass a salvage inspection. 

You’ll need to make an appointment with the NH Title Bureau by calling (603) 227-4150. 

The scheduler will require you to pay the $50 inspection when you schedule your appointment. 

On the day of your appointment, you’ll need to be prepared with the following items:

  • The vehicle to be inspected. 
  • The salvage title or other appropriate proof of ownership. 
  • The insurance adjuster’s report. 
  • Proof of repair and ownership for parts used in the rebuild. 

You can transport the vehicle to the inspection station on a flatbed OR apply for a 20-day temporary license plate. 

If the vehicle passes the inspection, you’ll receive a salvage decal that will need to be permanently attached to the vehicle. You’ll also receive a Salvage Vehicle Identification Number Verification Report (Form DSMV 547).  

Next, you can visit your local town clerk with the following:

  • The inspection report. 
  • The salvage title. 
  • A new title application. 
  • Payment for the title fee.

The newly issued title will include the brand “Rebuilt Vehicle.”

Register a Salvage Title Car in New Hampshire

In order to register your rebuilt vehicle, you’ll need to:

  • Visit your local clerk’s office. 
  • Present proof of ownership. 
  • Pass a vehicle inspection within 10 days of applying for registration. 
  • Pay your registration fees and taxes. 

Related Pages:

Next Steps

If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in New Hampshire, has the free resources you need to get back on the road. 

Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: