If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Ohio Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title.
Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Ohio until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured.
This page will cover the salvage title process in Ohio, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road.
For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Ohio DMV office or visit the official DMV website:
What is a Salvage Title in Ohio?
Like many other states, a salvage title in Ohio means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy.
Ohio salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected.
How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Ohio
In order to re-title and re-register a salvage vehicle in Ohio, you’ll first need to:
- Visit your local BMV Deputy Registrar to pay the $50 salvage inspection fee.
- Schedule a salvage inspection via the OH State Highway Patrol Vehicle Inspection Gateway: https://services.dps.ohio.gov/vehicleInspection#
Here’s what is required on the day of your inspection:
- Your prepaid inspection receipt from the OH BMV.
- Proof of your identification.
- The OH salvage title in your name.
- All receipts and bills of sale for parts used in the rebuild. VINs from donor cars must be included for used parts.
After the inspection has been completed and passed, you’ll need to submit the inspection report to your local clerk’s office.
Register a Salvage Title Car in Ohio
WIth your rebuilt OH title, you’ll be able to license and register your vehicle again.
Be sure to maintain an active insurance policy, complete any necessary inspections, and pay your registration fees and taxes.
- What is a Salvage Title?
- What is a Rebuilt Title?
- Salvage Title Insurance
- Buying a Car with a Salvage Title
If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Ohio, VINvaquero.com has the free resources you need to get back on the road.
Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: