Salvage Title in Oregon

If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title. 

Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Oregon until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured. 

This page will cover the salvage title process in Oregon, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road. 

For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Oregon DMV office or visit the official DMV website:

What is a Salvage Title in Oregon?

Like many other states, a salvage title in Oregon means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy.

An Oregon salvage title is required when:

  • A vehicle has been declared a total loss. 
  • The estimated cost of repairs is 80% of more of the current retail market value of the vehicle. 
  • The vehicle has been wrecked, disassembled, dismantled, or substantially altered.  

To get a salvage title in Oregon, you’ll need:

  • A completed Application for Salvage Title: 
  • The original title. 
  • The odometer disclosure statement, if applicable. 
  • Original releases or bills of sales from previous owners. 
  • Lien releases, if applicable. 
  • The $27 salvage title fee.

Applications can be submitted in person to a DMV office, or by mail to:

DMV Services

1905 Lana Ave NE

Salem, OR 97314

Oregon salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected. 

How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Oregon

To clear the salvage title and register the vehicle again, you’ll need to apply for a reconstructed title. 

To do so, you’ll need the following:

Documents, applications, and fees can be submitted in person to your local DMV office with an appointment, or by mail to:

DMV Services

1905 Lana Ave NE

Salem, OR 97314

Register a Salvage Title Car in Oregon

To get license plates for a previously salvage vehicle, you’ll need to submit the following along with the items listed above:

  • A Certificate of Compliance for emissions testing. 
  • Your registration fee. 
  • A current car insurance policy. 

Related Pages:

Next Steps

If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Oregon, has the free resources you need to get back on the road. 

Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: