If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title.
Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Pennsylvania until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured.
This page will cover the salvage title process in Pennsylvania, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road.
For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Pennsylvania DMV office or visit the official DMV website:
What is a Salvage Title in Pennsylvania?
Like many other states, a salvage title in Pennsylvania means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy.
Pennsylvania salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected.
How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Pennsylvania
To re-register and legally operate a previously salvage vehicle in Pennsylvania, you’ll need to apply for a reconstructed title.
The vehicle will need to pass an enhanced safety inspection to ensure the vehicle is fit for road use again.
You’ll need to be prepared with the following documentation:
- A completed Application For Reconstructed, Specially Constructed, Collectible, Modified, Flood, Recovered Theft Vehicles and Street Rods (Form MV-426B).
- Proof of ownership of the vehicle (salvage certificate of title).
- Proof of insurance.
- Receipts and bills of sale for partes used in the rebuild.
- Payment for your inspection and title fees.
Register a Salvage Title Car in Pennsylvania
Once the reconstructed title has been processed and issued, you’ll be able to register the salvage vehicle again.
Be prepared to submit:
- Registration application.
- Proof of insurance.
- Certificates of completion for any necessary safety and emissions inspections.
- Payment for your registration fees and taxes.
- What is a Salvage Title?
- What is a Rebuilt Title?
- Salvage Title Insurance
- Buying a Car with a Salvage Title
If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Pennsylvania, VINvaquero.com has the free resources you need to get back on the road.
Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: