If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Rhode Island Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title.
Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Rhode Island until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured.
This page will cover the salvage title process in Rhode Island, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road.
For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Rhode Island DMV office or visit the official DMV website:
What is a Salvage Title in Rhode Island?
Like many other states, a salvage title in Rhode Island means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy.
To get a RI salvage title, you’ll need to submit:
- The Salvage Title Application: https://dmv.ri.gov/media/866/download?language=en
- The current certificate of title.
- The insurance report and repair appraisal.
- Payment for the $52.50 salvage title fee.
Rhode Island salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected.
How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Rhode Island
Salvage vehicles must be repaired by a Rhode Island licensed salvage rebuilder.
To begin the process of getting a salvage vehicle registered again, you’ll need to first submit the Application for Salvage inspection. Be prepared with the following items:
- A completed Salvage Inspection Application: https://dmv.ri.gov/media/611/download?language=en
- Receipts and bills of sale for all parts and labor performed.
- A copy of the salvage title.
- A certificate of Salvage Repair.
- A check payable to DMV for $57.50.
Applications and supporting documents can be submitted to:
Division of Motor Vehicles, Enforcement Office
600 New London Avenue
Cranston, RI 02920-3024
On the day of the inspection, you’ll need to provide:
- Original receipts and bills of sale for parts and labor.
- Proof of identification.
- The insurance appraisal report.
- Repair work orders.
- The RI salvage title.
- Before photos of the repairs.
- A Bill of Sale.
If the inspection is passed, you’ll be issued a rebuilt title.
Register a Salvage Title Car in Rhode Island
Once the vehicle has been repaired, passed the inspection, and has had a rebuilt title issued, you’ll be able to register it again.
Be prepared with your proof of current car insurance policy and your registration fees.
- What is a Salvage Title?
- What is a Rebuilt Title?
- Salvage Title Insurance
- Buying a Car with a Salvage Title
If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Rhode Island, VINvaquero.com has the free resources you need to get back on the road.
Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: