Salvage Title in Vermont

Car Insurance Tip!
How to Save on Car Insurance in Five Minutes
  • Car insurance costs more in 2024.
  • Don't let your rates increase.
  • Compare rates to save big!
Compare Rates Now Car Image

If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title. 

Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Vermont until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured. 

This page will cover the salvage title process in Vermont, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road. 

For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Vermont DMV office or visit the official DMV website:

What is a Salvage Title in Vermont?

Like many other states, a salvage title in Vermont means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy. 

Vermont salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected. 

Note that Vermont does not issue titles to vehicles more than 15 model years old.

How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Vermont

To apply for a rebuilt title, you’ll need to:

Register a Salvage Title Car in Vermont

Once a rebuilt title has been issued, you’ll be able to register the vehicle again. 

To do so, you’ll need:

  • An application for vehicle registration. 
  • Proof of car insurance. 
  • Payment for your registration fees and taxes. 

Related Pages:

Next Steps

If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Vermont, has the free resources you need to get back on the road. 

Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: