If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title.
Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Virginia until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured.
This page will cover the salvage title process in Virginia, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road.
For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Virginia DMV office or visit the official DMV website:
What is a Salvage Title in Virginia?
Like many other states, a salvage title in Virginia means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy.
Vehicles are considered salvage when the estimated cost of repairs exceed 75% of the actual cash value of the car.
To apply for a salvage certificate, you’ll need to submit the following to the VA DMV:
- A completed Salvage Certificate Form (Form VSA56): https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa56.pdf
- The current certificate of title.
- Appraisal for estimated repair costs.
- The $15 title fee.
Virginia salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected.
How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Virginia
Before a rebuilt title can be issued, you’ll need to get the vehicle examined.
To schedule your salvage examination, you’ll need to submit the following to the DMV:
- Your salvage certificate of title.
- A completed Request for Examination of Rebuilt Salvage Vehicle (Form LES 022A): https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/les022a.pdf
- Payment for the $125 inspection fee.
- Payment for the $15 title fee.
Documents and payment can be sent to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Vehicle Branding Work Center
P.O. Box 27412
Richmond, Virginia 23269-0001
You’ll be scheduled for an inspection, and you’ll need to be prepared to provide the following:
- Certificate of completion of a VA State Vehicle Inspection.
- A copy of your Request for Examination form.
- Receipts and Bills of Sale for parts used in the rebuild.
- Photographs of the vehicle before the repairs were made.
After the inspection is passed, the title brand will be updated.
Register a Salvage Title Car in Virginia
Once you’ve received the rebuilt title, you’ll be able to re-register the vehicle. Be prepared to:
- Complete a registration application.
- Submit proof of ownership.
- Provide proof of insurance.
- Pay your registration fees and taxes.
- What is a Salvage Title?
- What is a Rebuilt Title?
- Salvage Title Insurance
- Buying a Car with a Salvage Title
If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Virginia, VINvaquero.com has the free resources you need to get back on the road.
Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: