If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Washington DC Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title.
Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Washington DC until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured.
This page will cover the salvage title process in Washington DC, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road.
For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Washington DC DMV office or visit the official DMV website:
What is a Salvage Title in Washington DC?
Like many other states, a salvage title in Washington DC means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy.
Washington DC salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected.
How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Washington DC
In order to re-title a salvage vehicle in Washington DC, it will need to pass:
- An emissions inspection.
- A vehicle safety inspection.
- An Anti-Theft Inspection conducted by the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).
Paperwork should be submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles office at 95 M St. Southwest Service Center.
You will need:
- To complete an Anti-Theft Inspection form: https://dmv.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/dmv/publication/attachments/DC-MPD%20Salvage%20Anti%20Theft%20Inspection_June%202019.pdf
- To complete a Salvage Vehicle Procedure Acknowledgement: https://dmv.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/dmv/publication/attachments/Salvage%20Vehicle%20Procedure%20Acknowledgment%20English.pdf
To begin the process, take your vehicle to the DC Emissions and Safety Inspection location and inform the inspector that you need a Salvage Inspection.
You will be notified via text message or email when the inspection process is complete.
Register a Salvage Title Car in Washington DC
After you’ve received a rebuilt salvage title, you can register the vehicle again with a new insurance polcy.
- What is a Salvage Title?
- What is a Rebuilt Title?
- Salvage Title Insurance
- Buying a Car with a Salvage Title
If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Washington DC, VINvaquero.com has the free resources you need to get back on the road.
Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: