Salvage Title in Washington

Car Insurance Tip!
How to Save on Car Insurance in Five Minutes
  • Car insurance costs more in 2024.
  • Don't let your rates increase.
  • Compare rates to save big!
Compare Rates Now Car Image

If a vehicle has been involved in an accident and declared to be a total loss by the owner or the insurance company, the Washington Department of Motor Vehicles will brand it with a salvage title. 

Generally, a salvage title car cannot be driven on public roads in Washington until it has been adequately repaired, inspected, rebranded as “rebuilt” or “revived”, registered, and insured. 

This page will cover the salvage title process in Washington, and provide you with tips on how to get a salvage vehicle back on the road. 

For official information or questions about your specific situation, please contact your local Washington DMV office or visit the official DMV website:

What is a Salvage Title in Washington?

Like many other states, a salvage title in Washington means that the vehicle has been reported to the DMV to be a total loss, wrecked, or damaged to the point where it is no longer roadworthy. 

Washington salvage title cars cannot be driven until they have been repaired and inspected. 

How to Get a Salvage Title Cleared in Washington

You’ll need to get a rebuilt title before you can drive and register your salvage vehicle in Washington state again. 

After making the necessary repairs, you’ll need to schedule an inspection and tow the vehicle to a Washington State Patrol location. 

Be prepared to provide:

  • Your salvage inspection request completed by a licensing agent. Contact the DOL for details. 
  • Valid photo ID. 
  • Your salve title. 
  • Bills of sale and receipts for all major parts used in the repair. 

Once the vehicle passes inspection, you’ll be able to get a rebuilt title brand. 

Register a Salvage Title Car in Washington

With your salvage brand lifted, your new title will show it as “rebuilt.”

With a rebuilt title, you’ll be able to visit your local licensing office to register the car again. 

Be sure to get an active car insurance policy for the vehicle and pay your registration fees. 

Related Pages:

Next Steps

If you’re in the market to buy, sell, or register a salvage title vehicle in Washington, has the free resources you need to get back on the road. 

Check out some of our related guides and useful tools below: